Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Jurik Moving Average on Renko Chart

I have liked the JMA for quite a while but haven't come to terms with how to use it in my active trading plan. So, I just put some on a chart using my favorite periods of 20, 52, and 78. The picture shows what I got. See the arrows where I marked my entries.

I like the Jurik because it follows price pretty closely and adjusts to changes in direction very quickly. What I noticed right away is the compression areas. They are identified pretty easily and entries are the bar that clears that compression area. Notice I'm using a modified Renko brick that has wicks and sticks. You can use Wicked Renko, Better Renko, or whatever else fits your style.

Notice the bottom panel...you see 3 lines there as well that are the slope of the JMAs in the top panel. The slope they are showing really isn't the exact slope. They show when the corresponding JMA in the top panel is greater than 30 degrees over the last 6 bars.

The first red arrow really isn't valid imo because it isn't in a compression area.

I just started looking at this set up so it's an open book. But, I found it interesting and thought I'd share it here. Maybe you all will see something of value or maybe not. I'm going to play with it for a while to see how it develops. I documented it here so maybe I'll stay on task.